Our client specializes in deep, reactive, and narrative role-playing games but enjoy exploring other genres. This studio has many passionate developers who love creating and playing games and is looking for a talented and passionate Lead Technical Artist for an unannounced next-generation RPG.
The ideal candidate has a great passion for role-playing games, is a leader, inspires and leads the team, and has experience working on game engines, especially Unreal, and a solid understanding of current technical tools and pipelines. You collaborate closely with development teams to define a vision for art technology, pipeline, and process. You play a vital role in bringing the next title to life, and they’re looking for a talented and passionate person to join them!
- Working closely with the art director/leaders to advance and spread the game's artistic vision.
- Work with developers to develop tools/scripts/plugins to optimize art and design processes, workflows, systems, and pipelines.
- Build an effective team to ensure a manageable size, a good mix of levels, and foster a team player culture.
- Create the environment for initiatives and ideas to emerge and grow
- Care about people: Be role models and supportive
- Establish and exchange best practices within the group.
- Optimize content for memory and performance gains
- Assistance in developing training programs for artists when needed; Give feedback and advise team members on the project.
- Work with engineers to set technical specifications and performance standards for environments, characters, visual effects, and weapons.
- Support and write tools for the Art & Animation pipeline, including rigging, content creation automation, etc.
- Work with other departments to ensure good communication and strong working relationships between departments. Develop, motivate, and mentor team members.
- Create opportunities for challenges and growth.
- At least 5 years experience in game development serving in a technical art role
- Unreal experience on a commercial game
- Demonstrated ability to prototype within our engine, and capable of working quickly in the prototyping phase and then delivering final, quality code that others can leverage
- In-depth knowledge of material/shader development and experience with Substance Designer/Painter
- Excellent communication, time-management, and organizational skills
- Task-driven, self-motivated, and proactive
- Management and career development experience
- In-depth expertise on relevant 3D software packages (Maya, Zbrush, etc. )
- A portfolio that demonstrates relevant tech art experience in games (tools, pipelines, etc.)
- Able to demonstrate a strong understanding of relevant tools and technology.
- Able to guide a team to balance creative goals with the requirements of production.
- Proficiency in ZBrush, Painter, and Designer
- Mocap setup experience
- Technical ability in areas of 2D and 3D art;
- Excellent time management and prioritization skills;
- Expertise in content creation tools, Maya, Max, Houdini, ZBrush, and the ability to extend the capabilities of these packages via plugin APIs
- Fluency in various scripting languages such as Python/C++/C#/HLSL/GLSL/Lua
- In Maya, expert knowledge in either rigging & skinning characters, weapons, creatures, etc.
- Knowledge of data management software (e.g., Perforce)
- Understanding of platform strengths and limitations;
- Good understanding of multiple arts and animation pipelines;
- Self-motivation, good communication skills, and great teamwork.
- Work effectively with game designers, artists, and engineers to ensure the technical vision of the art matches the needs of the project.
- Mastery of one or more technical skills, including; FX/particle animation, lighting, character manipulation, tool scripting, or shader development
- Knowledge of one or more related disciplines: illustration, animation, visual effects, or modeling
- Familiarity with RPG games