Remote (US) / permanent /
United States, Full-time Allows Remote
Our fantastic partner studio is seeking an Animation Lead. In this role, you will be instrumental in guiding and managing Animators as they work on the animation of characters and cosmetics for games; upholding a creative vision; generating work to maintain standards; and will utilize insights to develop concepts and give creative guidance. You will be a source of inspiration for team members working on characters and must be a highly organized time manager, problem solver, originator of process, partner to other leads and stakeholders, team morale booster, a great communicator and listener. You are expected to think creatively in all aspects of the role.
• Works closely with Executive Director of Art & Audio and the Art Director in setting direction for character art.
• Disseminates and/or provides artistic direction/vision for animation.
• Is the first asset review for technical and aesthetic checks of animators’ work.
• Manages a team of animators, including establishment of task times and schedules.
• Mentors, collaborates with, and helps to guide direct reports, and oversees their workloads.
• May create and maintain process documentation for animation processes.
• Can be relied upon to innovate and instruct the team regarding new processes and software as dictated by project needs; shows strong independent problem-solving ability.
• Often considered to lead art workshops.
• Assists in managing the day-to-day workflow and contributes to cross departmental/divisional projects as a creative partner.
• Interfaces with partners across the organization, representing the animation team in presentations and strategy discussions.
• Stays abreast of game/creative industry trends.
• Contributes to management of creative feedback loop for animation.
• Identifies potential problems in the art pipeline and works with the Spellbreak leads to prevent them.
• Collaborates with the Art Director and Leads to understand and communicate the expectations for visual quality and best practices of in-game art with external teams.
• 7+ years in a Digital Game Dev Studio experience (also open to exceptional senior candidates with fewer years’ professional experience)
• A portfolio that showcases innovative integrated/digital creative solutions.
• Expert understanding of Maya and equivalent visual effects packages, competent working with joints and locators, keyframing, and rigid/soft body simulations.
• Considerable experience using Unreal.
• Has in-depth knowledge of basic and advanced technology, terminology, and techniques of game art development, including an awareness of design and programming considerations and at least one area of deep expertise in animation as a discipline.
• Experience animating both in 3D and 2D.
• Great communication and leadership skills; awareness and competency in guiding creative in the digital and social space.
• Clear articulation of expectations, able to rally a team around one outcome and objective.
• Displays consistent, professional demeanor at all times; reacts well under stressful situations.
• Always pushes the art quality bar.
• Is a positive force in company morale.
• Displays empathy, strong ethics, flexibility, confidence, self-awareness, and the ability to see all sides of complex situations.
• Is able to see the ‘‘big picture’’ of the project.
• Able to effectively communicate art issues to non-artists; exceptional presentation skills for both internal and external creative presentations.
• Able to bring a large measure of creativity and initiative to both preproduction and production concept tasks and adapt swiftly to new themes as directed by the team.
• Must be proficient in presentation software and have working knowledge of PowerPoint and Keynote.
• Proven track record for outstanding concept ideation and execution.
• Outsourcing reviewing and communication experience.
• Asset management experience required.
• Good time management skills, Ability to provide oversight to multiple timelines, self-manage and meet deadlines, able to work unsupervised for long periods and able to supervise others.
• Must be able to work under pressure and within quick timelines.
• Mature and trustworthy professional as the role may require exposure to confidential materials.
• Rigging and/or 3D Modeling experience preferred.